Thursday, March 12, 2020

Editing Blog: Piecing Footage

On this editing day, the goal was to finish scenes 1 and 2. On the previous editing day, I started to edit these two scenes; however, I ran out of time and couldn't finish them. Fortunately, I was able to grab the same laptop I used last class, so I didn't have to re-download the footage. Which also means there was more time to edit. The program, Pinnacle Studio, also didn't have too many issues. It loaded up fine but was a bit slow. However, I prefer having a slow working laptop then three that don't work. While the program was loading, I took out the storyboard to have a reference of the film opening. Furthermore, I asked Leila to get the checklist to have another reference. Having these two sources of references made editing easier and quicker on the second day of editing, so I felt that it would be important and logical to use them during this day too.

After Pinnacle Studio finished loading I opened up our film and got to work. I started by watching all the editing completed previously, in order to have a recap of the work done earlier. After reviewing scene 1 and 2's editing draft I discussed with Leila changes we needed to make. While I was tripping the footage Leila was providing me with input and I did the same when she was cutting. I felt that when one person was using the laptop it was important for the other to always suggest input and ideas. This way, if the scene wasn't looking right, the other person may know how to fix it or know how to make a scene look better. When I was cutting, I made sure to cut anything we don't need, like footage with long seconds of no sound or movement, or if Leila and I were talking in it.

After the cutting process for scene 1 and 2 was finally complete we moved on to sound. Leila had more experience with sound, so she was mainly in charge of fixing it; however, I tried my best to help by sharing my opinions, like if the music was to load or to quiet. I also helped to create the fades in the music to have a better transition between the songs.

A new skill I learned on this editing day was how to insert titles. While the plan was to add titles closer to the end of the editing process, we felt that it would be a good time to practice since scene 1 and 2 were mainly finished. The plan on how the titles should look were previously established before the editing process. This meant that I just had to create them. While Leila created the first title, I watched her, so I could learn how to do it for when I made the next one. It took me a few minutes to figure out how to do it, but after a few trials and errors, I was able to figure it out. I adjusted the size, font, and color of the titles. I was also able to find how to edit the titles, so they would fade in and out of the scenes.

This is a picture of me (grey jacket) working with Leila (black shirt) on the film opening.

No comments:

Post a Comment