Thursday, March 19, 2020

Editing Blog: Minor Details and Sound

On this editing day, almost all of the footage had been added so I just needed to make some minor detail changes. These changes included trimming and speeding up or down footage. Before I could add in any changes I watched my film all the way through. While I was watching the opening I told Leila where I think there needs to be a change so she could write it down. After the list of changes was completed I retrieved the storyboard it case I need a reference when I'm making the changes.

The main changes I needed to make was to cut the footage more and add transitions. Some of the scenes went on for too long so I had to cut them to make them shorter. In some of the scenes, the audience could hear my voice or Leila's, so I had to trim out our voices. While watching the opening I noticed some of the transitions were choppy, so I added in fades to make it look smoother.

I also got to work on sound this day. Before Leila and I could add in any sound we had to re-import the music because the old import wasn't loading. After all the music was re-imported, Leila and I listened to all of the music to remind ourselves what we have to choose from. While listening to the music I was also making sure if we had enough music to choose from or if we needed more. After we listened to all of the music once, we went back and listen to it a second time and wrote down notes. These notes consisted of the parts of the songs we wanted to include. Whenever I came across a part I found would work with the opening I would tell Leila, so she could write it down. After I listened to the music a second time, I started adding in the sound. I would help to adjust the length of the music and where it should be located. I also added in the fade-ins and outs in the music to help transition between the different music more smoothly. After a lot of the sound was added, I watch the film and realized that some of the original music planned for a scene didn't sound right for the situation. For example, the original music for the montage scene didn't transition well from the previous song. I tried fixing it with different lengths of fade, but it still wasn't working. In the end, I recommended extended the previous song over the montage and getting rid of the original montage music. I really liked the outcome of doing this, so instead of finding new montage music, we decided to just you the song from the earlier scene.

Another part of the sound I was able to work on briefly was adjusting the loudness of the dialogue scenes. Due to the background music, come of the dialogue was to quiet which would make it very hard for the audience to understand. I went through the different dialogue scenes and made them louder until the class ended.

This is a picture of myself editing.

No comments:

Post a Comment